Skip to main content

A week of self-doubt

    

So, get away
Another way to feel what you didn’t want yourself to know
And let yourself go
You know you didn’t lose your self-control
Let’s start at the rainbow

    Do you have a time when you try to do one thousand things at the same time and then choose to do nothing? That is just what I did for this week. 
    Is it possible to learn Dutch and French simultaneously and reach C1 level (fluent)?
    Is it possible to apply for jobs while preparing your proposals for Ph.D. applications? 
    Is it possible to practice piano, work out regularly, eat well and sleep early at the same time? 
    I know it is possible for someone who has strong determination, but sadly not me. I even feel guilty when I don't write my blog last week. 
    When I was young, I would like to describe myself as outgoing and determined or stubborn. Now I would describe myself as the opposite. What a dramatic change! I remembered that when I was going to junior school in the suburb of the city, I told myself that I would walk out of my comfort zone and be brave enough to tell my true feelings and desires. I did make a progress. At that time, my classmates described me as outgoing and outspoken, and I didn't fear challenging others, especially the guys I had a crush on. It is so weird that when I have a crush on someone, I always try to impress him by outwinning him in everything. So I get better grades when I have a crush on someone using my imagination. Unexpectedly, romantic feelings become a booster for my study instead of an obstacle. I am very good at describing my true feelings through writing. The most embarrassing moment would be the time when the English teacher read my essay talking about the mixed feelings I had for my deskmate, who I had a crush on but never dared to tell. 
    Reading too many novels of romance nurtured my imagination. I feel happy when I imagine thousands of different scenarios in which we realize that we secretly like each other. But then things change as I learned the complexity of the world. I realized that my moral standard is not the only truth and you can not persuade somebody just by showing off your intelligence and making him lost for words. I learned that by having friends who have different personalities and opinions from me, I felt I was also less confident to make a statement. The illusion of love also faded away as I was no longer indulged in my own imagined universe and read more essays talking about love from a more realistic angle. I remember that conversation I had with my lunch buddy in high school. I asked her what if what we have experienced until now was just a flashback before we died? How can we know if the reality we experienced is virtual or real? At that time, I started to become shy and talk less as I tried to ask myself a lot of questions that I could not answer. 
    Actually, they still trigger me now. What do I really want to do in the future? What is the job that I will love? What is the topic that I have a passion for? My answer at that time was I liked the eureka moment when all the things I learned started to connect with each other and make sense to me. The moment when it feels like you have discovered a new world. I wrote emails to a high school friend who moved to Canada for more than one year. I was talking about everything in these letters and the process of writing emails felt like a therapy session to me. I don't care when he would reply. Writing and clicking the send button is already a complete therapy, just like what I am doing - writing a blog that no one reads except me. 
    Now I finished my therapy session and I am feeling better now. 
    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a foreigner in Italy

      I just finished my trip in Italy and I like it so much that I can't tolerate hearing Dutch again during the boarding process for my return trip.       The good thing about being a foreigner in Italy is that actually I dare to face unknown difficulties compared to my boyfriend, especially the language barrier. We accidentally took the wrong train and came to a neighborhood where you couldn't see any tourists. And I wanted a gelato there so we were waiting in line. There were only Italian speaking in that small shop. I managed to buy the ice cream I wanted in the end and was so happy that I even took a selfie with the ice cream.       I may be so good at enduring the embarrassment when I can see that other people try to understand me because I am not speaking the local language or speaking the local language with my own accent, wrong word order, and incorrect pronunciations. In Belgium, I constantly need to figure out what other people talk about and sometimes I feel like I

More than a friend: book review of loveless

    Abnormal sunny weather returned to Belgium again and I started to enjoy the autumn there. Another word for autumn is fall, which depicts a scene of yellow leaves falling from trees, swirling in the wind, and gently falling to the ground. In my hometown, there are more evergreen trees, but there is one specific tree called  Ginkgo (银杏) which turns all the leaves yellow in autumn. When I was young, my mom worked in a medicine company producing traditional Chinese medicine. She told me that there was one product that used Ginkgo leaves to treat heart-related diseases and laughed at me when I thought they used golden Ginkgo leaves for medicine. When leaves are turning yellow, they are reaching nearly the end of life journey. However, they do provide pleasure for kids and adults like me rustling on fallen leaves. Ginkgo is a tree native to China. No wonder I don't find them in Belgium.      I sat on the bench, bathing under the sunshine, and read the book loveless . I find the rela

It's a long long journey

     As the plan of studying for a history master's degree failed, I went back to looking for a job. However, this road is not easy as well. Who knows if this is a detour or a shortcut before you ever try it?      Meanwhile, I decided to continue my research as a sociologist and amateur historian. I will try to discover free sources to support my research as soon I could not access to the university's library system. Also, I created this blog in case I want to become a writer.       So, welcome to my first practice of writing!     Last night, I read a book called a little history of the world by E.H. Gombrich . It is a birthday gift from my best friend to celebrate my new passion for history. Yes, at that time, I was busy writing my thesis proposal on my birthday for the application to the master of the history program at KU Leuven.  a little history of the world  by   E.H. Gombrich      A fun fact: this master of history program is the only history program taught in English.