Skip to main content

Seven days a week

    Happy weekends and I already feel sad because of the incoming Monday. It is always tough on Mondays when you realize a new week of work is coming like unstoppable waves of zombies and you have to fight for your survival and make it till a short precious break on weekends. But who created the week to calculate time and why do we name it this way?

Some planets were believed to bring good luck, others misfortune: Mars meant war and Venus, love. To each of the five planets known to them they dedicated a day, and with the sun and the moon, that made seven. This was the origin of our seven-day week. In English we still say Satur (Saturn)-day, Sun-day and Mon(moon)-day, but the other days are named after different gods. In other languages - such as French or Italian - most of the days of the week still belong to the planets that the Babylonians first named. (p.20)

    According to the short description from a little history of the world, we can know that the Babylonians created the weekend based on the observation of the five plants plus the moon and the sun. However, in English we can only find the moon, the sun and the saturn. Then where are the other planets?

    As I am studying French to better survive in Belgium, I first look into French. When I studied the days of the week in French, I thought that these words were arbitrary. Samedi is a bit easier than the other words, as it sounds like Saturday. However, from the information provided by Days of the week in French language - Elsa French Teacher, I learned that the arbitrary words actually symbolize different planets. As a language learner, it is always better to memorize words when I know the story behind the words to make sense. 



days in French and corresponding planets

    So Lundi is similar to Monday which derives from La lune (the moon). Mardi (Tuesday), Mercredi (Wednesday), Jeudi (Thursday), and Vendredi (Friday) are connected to different planets such as Mars, Mercure, Jupiter, and Venus. According to Days of the week in French language - Elsa French Teacher, "Samedi (Saturday) comes from Saturne. Previously, Romans used to call it Saturdi, but Christians changed it to Sabbati (the day of the Sabbat (Shabbat)), which became Samedi in French." Also, Sunday is "changed by Christians into Dimanche from latin dominicus (the Master, the Lord)". 

    However, due to the lack of knowledge of Romans, I am not fully convinced by the explanation. But it could be a possible explanation as the Italian version also supported the explanation of Saturday and Sunday. According to an Italian friend, the names of Saturday and Sunday are also influenced by Christianity. However, why Giove means Jupiter remains an unsolved question for me.  

  • Days in Italian

    (-dì means day)

    Planets

    Lunedì

    Luna, Moon

    Martedì

    Marte, Mars

    Mercoledì

    Mercurio, Mercury

    Giovedì

    Giove, Jupiter

    Venerdì

    Venere, Venus

    Sabato

    Sabbat

    Domenica

    Dominus, the day of the lord

days in Italian and corresponding planets

    It is interesting to see the history behind weekdays and weekends, as it implies a way to measure time. For some countries for example China and Japan, the wide use of the weekly calendar didn't come until modern times. Then how did they measure time in their own ways? I will try to write articles later to discover different measurements of time in China, Japan, and even other countries. 

    Time becomes calculable when we give it a name. The measurement of time reflects how we see life from a certain perspective. When every minute is calculated, our life becomes faster and we are terrified to see the time passing. However, the joy on Fridays (Venus, god of love) passes on all the way to the present which symbolizes the lovely end of a busy week and the beginning of a happy weekend.  


Reference: 

Gombrich, E. H. (2008). A little history of the world. Yale University Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a foreigner in Italy

      I just finished my trip in Italy and I like it so much that I can't tolerate hearing Dutch again during the boarding process for my return trip.       The good thing about being a foreigner in Italy is that actually I dare to face unknown difficulties compared to my boyfriend, especially the language barrier. We accidentally took the wrong train and came to a neighborhood where you couldn't see any tourists. And I wanted a gelato there so we were waiting in line. There were only Italian speaking in that small shop. I managed to buy the ice cream I wanted in the end and was so happy that I even took a selfie with the ice cream.       I may be so good at enduring the embarrassment when I can see that other people try to understand me because I am not speaking the local language or speaking the local language with my own accent, wrong word order, and incorrect pronunciations. In Belgium, I constantly need to figure out what other people talk about and sometimes I feel like I

More than a friend: book review of loveless

    Abnormal sunny weather returned to Belgium again and I started to enjoy the autumn there. Another word for autumn is fall, which depicts a scene of yellow leaves falling from trees, swirling in the wind, and gently falling to the ground. In my hometown, there are more evergreen trees, but there is one specific tree called  Ginkgo (银杏) which turns all the leaves yellow in autumn. When I was young, my mom worked in a medicine company producing traditional Chinese medicine. She told me that there was one product that used Ginkgo leaves to treat heart-related diseases and laughed at me when I thought they used golden Ginkgo leaves for medicine. When leaves are turning yellow, they are reaching nearly the end of life journey. However, they do provide pleasure for kids and adults like me rustling on fallen leaves. Ginkgo is a tree native to China. No wonder I don't find them in Belgium.      I sat on the bench, bathing under the sunshine, and read the book loveless . I find the rela

It's a long long journey

     As the plan of studying for a history master's degree failed, I went back to looking for a job. However, this road is not easy as well. Who knows if this is a detour or a shortcut before you ever try it?      Meanwhile, I decided to continue my research as a sociologist and amateur historian. I will try to discover free sources to support my research as soon I could not access to the university's library system. Also, I created this blog in case I want to become a writer.       So, welcome to my first practice of writing!     Last night, I read a book called a little history of the world by E.H. Gombrich . It is a birthday gift from my best friend to celebrate my new passion for history. Yes, at that time, I was busy writing my thesis proposal on my birthday for the application to the master of the history program at KU Leuven.  a little history of the world  by   E.H. Gombrich      A fun fact: this master of history program is the only history program taught in English.